Platted in 1873, Chalmers was originally knowns as “Mudge’s Station.” The name came from that of a local storekeeper. Official records show no specific source other than a personal name. The town was listed, as Chalmers, on railroad timetables of the New Albany & Salem as early as 1856. The depot was built in 1895 and was a frame building with shingle roof and sat south of Main Street on the east side of the tracks.
Excerpted from: Chalmers, Indiana